Wednesday 30 January 2008

Success all around!


Today was officially successful (as were the last few, but I'll tell you about those in a minute). A local British man smiled at me AND said "hello!" to me today on the street!!! This is huge, people. For those of you who don't know, British people are not known for their congeniality. I stare people down on the street as they pass me on the sidewalk and they never look at me at all - it's as if British people are unaware that anyone else is on the sidewalk. They get "in the zone" when they go places and they are not about to lose focus. But today, yes today, a man looked up from what he was doing, looked me in the eye, smiled and said "hello!" in a very British voice. I was so shocked I almost didn't speak, but, determined to prove my American friendliness, I smiled back and responded with a simple "hi!". It was a monumental conversation. I feel as though I have had huge success in a small area of my life.
On to my next success story: Sunday after church I stopped by Sainsbury's for some grocery's and then walked home - it was very windy that day, yet I had chosen to wear my favorite peacock-feather earrings anyway. They matched my green Christmas sweater perfectly and I could not pass up the opportunity to wear them. After receiving a few compliments on my homemade jewelry, I was feeling quite good about myself. So I guess I deserved to lose one of them as punishment for my pride. When I came home to change clothes, one of the beloved feathers was gone. I was pretty upset - as Eryn said, "there's just something about jewelry you get attached to. It's worse than losing clothes!" and she was right. But, assuming I had lost in in the wind, I did not waste my time backtracking through the busy streets of Oxford. About 24 hours go by. I am on my way down to city center for INTS class. We are walking in a big group, talking, not paying much attention to our surroundings when, by coincidence (except I don't believe in coincidence, so it was fate) I looked up at a sign on the wall as we passed. It was a yellow sign, but I'm not sure what it said because I was distracted by a small, beautiful feather hanging on its corner. Yes! It was my earring! A miracle! My earring had been placed behind the corner of the sign and was sticking out as though a peacock had been sitting on the sign or something (unlikely...but so is the fact that I found my missing earring!) I was joyous. Triumphant. I told everyone my story, now including everyone who reads my blog. The world does have good people in it. Some kind Oxonian found my feather and knew the pain its loss had caused me and decided to their part in making my world a more beautiful place. (the picture of me with my beautiful feather was taken and edited by jessalyn. she rocks.)
Well, now that I have told you my success stories, there isn't much time for anything else so I'll make it quick. We took our first field trip yesterday to the North Gate Tower (picture above on the left) - the oldest structure in Oxford. It is the actual north gate from when Oxford (as well as all European cities) were surrounded by a wall. We saw bits and pieces of the wall all around Oxford - it was very strange to think about what Oxford might have been like when the towers and wall were first built. The view from the tower was great!
Today I went to the market for the second time - this time early in the morning before class so I could be sure to get my chicken from the butcher! I made it back for class and then fixed myself an excellent omelet for lunch made with my fresh eggs and tomatoes from the market and british cheddar cheese yummmm. Tonight I will try some of my fresh chicken breast and maybe some green beans. I'm learning how to fix more suitable meals now that I'm sick of the same thing every day. This afternoon, Adrian, Kris and I went "rambling" (a favorite pastime of the English, meaning to walk along the countryside for a while - I enjoy this tradition very much) to University Parks and Port Meadow. I got to feed the horses again - this time we had sugar cubes so they were much more willing to stick around and be friendly! I will be spending a lot of time with the horses this semester I am sure. If I weren't afraid for my life, I might try to ride one. I think it would be less than happy about me being on its back though. I'll let yall know if I get brave or lose my mind and try it.
Going to London Friday - I'll write more later! Cheers!

1 comment:

sylvia said...

ka-

so glad you found your earring! and i'm also so glad that you are working on your cooking skills, because i'm definitely looking forward to you making us some really good home made meals in the CASA next year! aaand it will be even better here because we actually use FLAVOR! i miss miss miss you. come home, ok? xoxo

-s