Saturday 19 January 2008

A Damp Saturday

Well let me start with my jazz music experience from last night. We walked to the Old Parsonage Hotel only to find lots of old, nicely dressed people in a small, intimate setting eating dinner and listening to jazz music. We were a little out of place...so we took pictures and left! Today I got up and went exploring with Becky and Karissa. We went to University Parks (I will be spending SO much time there - it's beautiful! the picture on the left is in the parks) and then we went down to Cowley Road (see bottom picture of a mural from cowley road - a very ethnic place) with no real destination, so we ended up just stopping for lunch at a little coffee shop and then heading back home because we were pretty wet by that point - you don't realize how wet mist will make you until you're out in it for a few hours! I got to take a nap this afternoon which was very nice. On our walk this morning though, I decided that I am going to take a picture of every red door I see this semester and make a collage out of all of them. I just love the doors here! They're so exciting compared to boring American 90 degree angle doors. This is my favorite door of all (on the right). It's not red, but it's beautiful! After I slept for a while this afternoon, I went with Jason, Casey, Eryn, Becky, Karissa, Katie, Mary Kate and Ben to a pub called The Gardner's Arms. They had really good sandwiches. The pub atmosphere was very different than what you see on tv. There is drinking, but it's part of the culture. they don't drink to get drunk. They just drink because they like it. Pub actually stands for Public House, which is what it is meant to be. It's a typical restaurant for England. It was on North Parade Road which is only one block over from our house so it is very convenient. As soon as we got back from dinner, I was dragged out the door by Abby who said the group was going to a Smash Rock Concert? No one seemed to know exactly what it was, but apparently it was free. So we walked, and walked....and walked some more until I had absolutely no idea where I was. Zach claimed to have everything under control. But when we reached a dead end, he turned around and said "well, it was supposed to be here." So, ya, that didn't work out. He also looked at me, Daley, and Kara and said "y'all look beautiful by the way". I'm pretty sure he was making fun of the fact that we looked like "wet cocker-spaniels" as Daley put it. It was pretty rainy. But we walked for an hour and a half - I guess that burned off dinner! So today was another day of adventures. I'm excited for my Oxford Through the Ages class where I will get to go on these walks and actually learn something about where I am. So far it's just been independent explorations of the unknown.

1 comment:

Keith Christian said...

Your camera takes great pictures! I really like enlarging the pictures you've posted and seeing all the details so clearly.
Love you, Sweetie.
Dad