Monday 4 February 2008

I should be friends with Harry Potter


So today we got to go on a tour of Christ Church, which, among many other historical accomplishments, was home to Harry Potter for a while - or at least he ate there. Christ Church's hall was the Great Hall of Hogwarts in the Harry Potter movies, and it was SO cool! I stood where Harry Potter has been. It was a great moment in my life.
We actually got to see just about every aspect of Christ Church - our tour guide was pretty long winded - i think we heard about an hour and a half's story on one window. Pretty impressive. We toured mainly the cathedral. I would really like to go back sometime and explore Christ Church Meadows - they're said to be incredible. Christ Church is the Oxford Cathedral, where many historical figures have been over the last millennium. Charles I ruled his kingdom from Christ Church; it has the first spire ever built in Oxford; it has stained glass that tells the story of St. Frideswide - all kinds of crazy things can be found in those walls. And of course, Harry Potter (along with many other movies including the Golden Compass) have been filmed there. Christ Church is also a college of Oxford University, although I honestly don't completely understand how that works.
I got to go to the Sunday morning service at Christ Church yesterday morning and it was probably the most beautiful service I have ever attended. Yesterday was the annual Candlemas service, which meant that we all had small candles that were lit at different times during the service. It was very different than anything that I am used to, but I really enjoyed it. My favorite part was the choir - 12 very young boys and 12 "young men" as they call them are the members of the choir and they all sound like angels - I got goosebumps multiple times (although it could have had something to do with the draft from the stone walls in the cathedral). Communion was served at the front as we stood up by row and walked down the aisle to take turns receiving it. As I walked down that center aisle, I imagined that that would be something like Heaven - the angelic choir singing behind me, the sun shining through stained glass windows, and people waiting up at the front for me to come take my turn to worship Jesus. It was awesome. It would not be a church that attended regularly simply because I do not know exactly what they believe and some of their traditions are very strange to me, but I am so glad that I went and was able to experience it.
Well, that's about all that's happened in the last two days, other than catching up on homework! I'm getting very excited about my first overnight trip this weekend to York and Whitby. We will be leaving Thursday morning and returning Saturday evening - I can't wait!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey KrisAnn!
It sounds like you are having so much fun! i know you are really enjoying your time over there. It is so kewl to see where you have been and what all you get to see. I just love reading your blog.
-Ashton

Anonymous said...

Hi KA,
Your teacher friends at MHS are trying to convince me you won't want to come back to the states, but I keep telling them you can't stand to be away from me forever. Hope I'm right. Enjoy your overnight trip!
Dad

Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to going to Christ Church with you in a month! I can't wait to see those beautiful windows and hear the angelic choir! Love you and miss you lots!
Mom

sylvia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sylvia said...

p.s. check your facebook...interesting story FOR YOUR EYES ONLY!