Saturday 1 March 2008

Earthquakes, Palaces and Flowers

Sorry it's been a while since I last posted! It's been a great week here in Oxford. It started with a bang - quite literally - as England experienced its largest earthquake in the last 20 years Tuesday night. We were laying in our beds late Tuesday night/Wednesday morning when the bunk bed started shaking very obviously, almost vibrating. It was very strange, but we just assumed something weird was going on in the room above us, and we were tired so we just went back to bed. I didn't ever feel any shaking from my bed, which is just a twin bed, not a bunk, but I heard the bunk bed shaking around and I heard the other girls asking what was going on. One of my roommates even said "well earthquakes don't happen in England - I wonder what that was!" Well, come to find out the next morning, it was an earthquake! At the epicenter, around Lincolnshire, it was about a 5.6 on the richter scale, but the tremors we felt were probably just around a 1 or 2...but still! we were in an earthquake! how cool is that? After that, nothing too terribly exciting happened this week. The weather was fabulous with sunshine and warm temperatures - perfect for a run in the parks! The flowers are all blooming - the trees all have pretty white little blossoms and the wild daffodils are popping up everywhere! I have been getting a lot done as far as homework is concerned, which is a good feeling, and we have also gotten a lot of the planning and details of our upcoming travel breaks taken care of which is so exciting! I have official tickets and plans for Austria (we leave wednesday for Vienna!), Ireland (with Momma who will be here in only 10 days!), and Scotland! The only trip left to plan is Italy, which will be huge because we'll have a whole week! Yesterday, me and a few other girls toured All Souls College - one of the many colleges of Oxford University. And Thursday afternoon we went on a walking tour of south Oxford and saw Christ Church Meadows and walked all the way up the Thames River (it was probably about a 5 mile tour!) Then today a bunch of us took a bus to Woodstock and toured the grounds and gardens of Blenheim Palace, where Winston Churchill was born. The grounds were incredible - it's probably thousands of acres, just of fields and woods and flowers and lakes and gardens! I would love to live in a place like that and have new land to explore all the time! There was also a hedge maze like the one in Harry Potter! We made it through in about 15 minutes, but I definitely got lost a few times and had no idea where I was (see picture above) - it was so much fun! It is apparently the 2nd larges hedge maze in the world! That was a pretty short trip, so we came back early this afternoon and watched the Sound of Music, which brought back so many childhood memories for me! I forgot how much I absolutely loved that movie! After all these years, I still remembered all the words to all the songs! I am hoping to get to go out to Salzburg while we're in Austria this week so I can go on the Sound of Music tour! That would be so amazing! Well, there's an update on my life for now - I love you all! Cheers!

No comments: